Monday, January 15, 2007

Let me 'splain. Wait, there is too much... let me sum up.

About my journal's title...

If you're not sure who the Scheherazade is, let me tell you, so you'll understand why the title of my journal is what it is. *points up to top left hand corner of screen* That thing, you know. The name comes from 1001 Arabian nights.

As we don't have 1001 nights for me to tell it properly, here's the Reader's Digest Condensed Version of the story: 1001 Arabian nights is a collection of storytelling, beginning with Scheherazade, the heroine who voluntarily marries psychopath King Shahryar to save the lives of other young girls. Due to complicated circumstances, King Shahryar has decided that all women are deceitful, and makes it his practice to marry a virgin every night, and behead her every morning (sounds like he has some issues he needs to work out, huh?).

In the midst of all this carnage, the royal vizier’s daughter, Scheherazade, tells her father that she will marry the king and stop his butchering. Against her father’s wishes, she marries King Shahryar and carries out her plan: her younger sister, Dunyazade, is to ask Scheherazade to tell a story, in order to be overheard by King Shahryar on the night of her wedding. Throughout her wedding night, Scheherazade tells a story so enthralling, and so long, that the king cannot behead her until he hears the end of the story. Scheherazade continues to captivate the king with her stories, night after night, for 1001 nights. During that time, King Shahryar postpones Scheherazade’s death indefinitely, then finally decides that she can live.

So what does this have to do with me, you ask? Well, I've mentioned that I'm astronomy nut, and I love movies. But my greatest love when it comes to ways to spend my free time is storytelling and writing. When I'm spinning a tale, I try my damndest to be Scheherazade. Sometimes I fall short, but I do a fair job now and again, enough to keep people coming back for more. I named my journal "Aspiring Scheherazade" because I hope that one day I'll have the talent to hold someone spellbound for 1001 nights.

Hey... wanna hear a story?

~Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home