Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gaaaahhhh!!! (Dilbert noise)

Welcome to Corporate America.

I don't talk much about the job because there's not much to talk about. And I try hard not to whine about "at my last job we did it this way" because that's just not fair. They're two different companies in two different parts of the country run by different people, and the one I'm in now is about ten times (literally) bigger than the one I was working with in Indiana. But let me just say, in the spirit of trying NOT to compare and whine, that I'm pissed at the new company's policy on certain holidays. New Year's Eve, to be exact. They consider this to be a "floating holiday", which means that they're open for business, and you can take that day as a holiday if you want, or you can use it somewhere else during the year as kind of an open vacation day. Cool, huh? Yeah, it's a cool concept. Until you realize that you're going to get the shaft when it comes to holidays (AGAIN) because someone from your "team" needs to be there on that day because we're open for business, and god forbid someone have to leave a voicemail message or have to wait a day to get an email response about the status of their lighting fixtures.

Erin and I have plans for New Year's Eve. We're going to have a party at the house, which I'll post more about later, because I'm REALLY excited about it, and I don't want to include it in such a pissy post. So, I thought that I would be able to take that day off. Oh, no. That's just not the way it's done here. Because I have no seniority, I get to stay here on that day, even though it's going to be a fucking morgue here, it's going to be so dead. Even though it's the last day of the year and 95% of our customers are closed on New Year's Eve, and contractors don't work on that day, and almost everyone else in the universe has that particular day off, the phone might ring once and there might be some sort of life-or-death lighting issue that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY or the fate of the free world will crumble and be doomed to imminent disaster, therefore sending our economy and our country into an uncontrollable downward spiral leading to an inevitable destruction of democracy, the American dreeam, and every citizen's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

So, yeah. Erin's going to see if she can get that day off, so she can make the house ready for the party. Hopefully she'll be able to do that, and that way I can continue doing my part to keep our country safe by not upsetting the delicate national economic balance that is decided by the sale, operation and immediate delivery of commercial lighting fixtures. Because yeah, I love America, people. Woo.

*shakes head* Fuckin' hooers.

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Pink Icing said...

God bless America - A Light or Death emergency on New Year's Eve...
What meanies they are, bet they keep you there til the very last working minute of the day as well.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Shelaine said...

I'm coming to your party. I will be there in your brains. And I will say dimdireedimdoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger DNR said...

HAHAhahaha!!

At least you can still laugh about it, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home