Friday, October 12, 2007

Bananas and the years to come

I've been thinking about the future a lot lately, and trying to set the basic bones of a plan for the rest of my life down in my mind. I've never been good at thinking/living beyond the moment - guess I'm a bit of a Bohemian when it comes to things like that - but ever since my birthday last month, I've been trying to figure out how I want the second half of mylife to go.

I know. That sounds drastic, huh? "You're only 32!" you say. "You're YOUNG!" And yeah, I'm young. Kind of. But I've spent a lot of time in my life in ways that were very, when I look back on them, wasteful. I wish I could go back to my younger self and make her see how important some things are - school, credit, etc. At the same time, every road we choose leads us to where we are now, and I'm happy with where I am now. Maybe if I had spent more time when I was younger worrying about where I was going to be when I was in my thirties I wouldn't be the person I am now - and for the most part, I like that person. I like where I am in my life, and who I am.

Anyway, I've been thinking about where I want to end up, and while I do love the town I'm living in now, I don't know if it's where I want to be for all time. I loved Chicago so much when I visited; I wonder if it's the same kind of place when you're living there? Of course, wherever you go, there you are. Your life catches up to you, and each place that you live is entirely what you make of it. But still, Chicago was such a great place... ::pining, shining, loving eyes directed to the northwest::

I just want to be financially comfortable enough to be able to do what I want when I want, within reason. And I'm actually relatively close to being able to do that now, which is nice. I love this place (for now), because it has so much to offer, economically, artistically, geographically. I was talking to a friend of mine earlier today about what a good place it is to live. But I don't think I'm settled here for the rest of my life. I see so many things I want to do and so many places I want to live. I just wish I knew how I could move around without it being such a hassle and a financial drain. I'd love to live in the Pacific Northwest for six months, and Maine for six months, and take a few years and travel around the country and see everything. I wonder how I could manage to do that before I'm too old to enjoy it?

RANDOM POLICE, BEWARE: I've also discovered that I am re-learning to love bananas. They're tasty and when I eat them, I feel like I'm being pseudo-healthy. Potassium is good for you. And so is fiber. But they've also got a very pleasing taste that's randomly nostalgic. Yay bananas. Well, wherever I go in my life, hopefully there will be bananas. And hopefully they'll continue to be surprisingly tasty and fulfilling.

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger DNR said...

I know the feeling. But, I can't stand naners!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home