Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Job situation update

The interview went VERY well. The company actually paid to fly me down and meet with them. I spent about 4 ½ hours there on Monday morning. I met with HR, the vice president of quotations, and the national accounts manager. Everyone was really great! And I really seemed to make a good impression on them. The building is so big and new and beautiful, it’s kind of overwhelming. It’s four stories, and is mostly glass. There’s a huge round glass tower in the front of the building that’s four stories as well. And there’s a rock and stone fountain that’s gorgeous… the inside of the building was really beautiful too. These people are very conscious of security... they have fingerprint recognition systems to get into the secured areas of the building like HR, and they have an entire security staff. I was really impressed.

The national accounts manager and I really hit it off. We talked for almost two hours. He told me that I would be perfect for the position! And that if he could, he’d hold me hostage in his office until they offered me what I wanted. Ha! Anyway, it went really well. I should hear something in the next few days. I really feel good about the interview, and I really hope I get the job. It just seems like a perfect fit for me… it’s what I want to be doing here at my current job, but it’s more money and it’s in the South near my family. How perfect is that?

The flights were fun. The novelty of flying still hasn’t worn off for me. I get excited about window seating. I love to watch the plane take off. I read some on the plane, but mostly I just sat and looked out the window at the Earth below us. I realized that you can make anything, any time, any situation into a moving experience with the right mindset and the right music. I got a little video of the plane taking off on one of my flights – I plan to put it into one of my video projects. I love looking down at the scenery below... we flew over the Appalachians, and they were so beautiful. Seeing where the mountain range ended and the midwest plains began was so cool - very visually drastic. Amazing!!

I’ve been thinking about the move to Greenville, and it still just doesn’t seem real to me. I can’t believe I might be moving back to Greenville in as little as three weeks. The idea is a little daunting. I’m kind of nervous and uneasy about the whole situation – moving, being apart from Erin for a month and a half, starting a new job, staying with my family, etc. But I’ve been trying to think of the good things I’m going to do when I live in Greenville again, things I used to take for granted. Places to eat, people to see, things to do. I’m going to go to the Pita House one of the first nights I’m back and have a nice leisurely dinner of chicken and lamb kababs (YUM). I’m going to meet up with my friend Jo and have a few beers with him. I’m going to (maybe) go catch up with my old gaming crew on a random Saturday night. I’m going to go shoot a few rounds of pool with my buddy Sabra at our old hangout, the Palace. I’m going to have dinner with my friend Valerie and see her husband and her kids. I’ll probably go to my favorite club and a few other places. It’ll be nice to immerse myself in the town again… I’m trying to focus on all the things I get excited about when we go visit, those things that we have to cram into a week’s time or less. I’m looking forward to it.

Also, I plan on really focusing on picking back up and exercising and losing weight. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago, and while I haven’t gained much back (about two pounds, and I’ve already lost them again), I don’t feel as good about myself as I did when I was consistently dieting and exercising. I’ve been trying to watch calories, but getting on the treadmill has really been the furthest thing from my mind for the past couple of weeks while I’ve been ironing all this out about the new job and everything. My parents have a pool, so I plan on swimming a lot of laps when I move down. Swimming is supposed to be a great aerobic exercise, or so I’ve heard… and since South Carolina is so damned hot, it’ll be a good way to get my exercise in without wanting to kill myself. I plan on walking some as well, but I am NOT going to make myself have a heatstroke, LOL!!!

There’s a chance I might go down even earlier than originally expected as I found out that the company I work for now usually asks you to leave if you put in your notice and tell them you’ve gotten a job with one of their competitors. I’m not going to volunteer the information, but if they ask, I refuse to lie. So, I might be going to Greenville even sooner than I thought (if I get the job, of course – all this is contingent on getting the offer!). I’ll be sure to keep the journal updated.

Back to work for me. Take care, all!

~Becky

6 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

and you must not forget the best part of South Carolina... hanging out with ME :)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger B. Miller said...

Indeed!! How could I forget?! I was saving a whole entry for our x-box playing, Jack Johnson listening, beer-drinking antics, bro!

LOL just kidding, I am really, REALLY looking forward to only being three hours away from you guys, as opposed to twelve. ;-)

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Shelaine said...

I cant take it! The anticipation is killing me!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger The Hillbilly Post Punk Producer Rapper said...

Good luck getting the new job. Yo uknow this is the hottest driest sring in South Carolina's recorded history?

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger B. Miller said...

The anticipation is killing me too. I keep staring at my phone, willing it to ring!

Jo, when I was down on Sunday and Monday, it was pretty miserable... I'll definitely be taking advantage of that pool if I come down, ha! You'll have to come have some margaritas with me and we'll go swimming... :-D

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger DNR said...

I for one hope you don't get the offer...

Kidding, kidding. You know I wish you the best!!! And you will be missed!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home