Thursday, June 07, 2007

Whirlwind!!

Phew, so much has happened in the last four days!! Where to begin???

I sent my resume in to Hubbell (the lighting company in Greenville). They called me back the very same day. The HR lady (Ellen) said that she had forwarded my resume to the National Accounts Manager (Rich), and he was really excited about my qualifications, and he wanted to set up an interview as soon as possible. I told her that I would be happy to meet with him, but I’d need to do it on a Monday or a Friday because the drive from Indy to Greenville is about nine hours, give or take, and I’d need an extra day to drive. She said that she’d see if Rich wanted to do a preliminary phone interview, and she’d also see if they could help me out with travel expenses.

My phone rang at 3 yesterday afternoon, and surprisingly, it was Rich. I had a phone interview with him right there and then. He was really, REALLY excited about my resume and meeting me. He said that they’ve been growing very quickly and they’re really hurting for help. He also said that they can find people with lighting experience, OR they can find someone with customer service experience, but to find someone with both is a rare thing. He wanted me to come down as soon as I can to meet with him, so I have an interview this Monday at 8 am!!! I’m still not sure how I’m getting there – Hubbell is going to reimburse me for travel expenses, so regardless of whether I fly or drive I should be covered.

During our conversation, Rich asked me, “I don’t want to jump the gun here, but… if the interview on Monday goes well, how soon do you think you could come down here and start working?” I told him that I’d need to give my employer a two weeks’ notice and then I’d need 2-3 days to get my affairs in order and I could be there. He said that would be great, and that he couldn’t wait to meet me on Monday. All I want to do is type exclamation points here..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m nervous as hell. I want the job, it sounds great and it pays more than what I’m making now AND it’s in SC. I just keep waiting for the rug to get yanked out from under me, ya know? My dad told me a long time ago that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is… but at the same time, this doesn’t feel like a scam or anything… they just seem really desperate for people.

So now I have this whirlwind in my head about what will happen if I get the job… stuff like where we’re going to live, how the hell we’re going to move with Erin and I being 600 miles apart, being away from my girlfriend for over a month, how we’re going to afford moving, how I should address this with my current employer, saying goodbye to my friends up here, etc., etc., etc.. It’s overwhelming. I can’t get my thoughts straightened out in my head because they’re going so damn fast.

I never expected all this to happen so quickly. When I applied with the company I’m working with now for the NAC job, they took almost three months to review my resume, interview me, and place someone else in the position. I do have to admit that I get a great sense of evil satisfaction that the job at Hubbell is the very same job I applied for here (national accounts coordinator), but the pay is MUCH better and is in the South, which is where I would rather be. HA!!!

My parents live outside of Greenville, and my mom has said I can stay with them for a few weeks while Erin waits out the lease and gets stuff ready to move. It will be so hard to be apart from her for so long. If they offer me the job right away, I could conceivably be in Greenville by the first week of July, and she can’t move until the middle of August, when our lease is up, because we can’t afford to pay moving costs and rent in two places (breaking our lease isn’t even an option… talk about expensive!). I don’t even want to think about it right now… we’ll jump off that bridge when we get to it… but it really kind of bothers me.

Anyway, that’s what’s going on right now… I will be in SC on Monday for the interview, and we’ll go from there. I’ll make sure to post and let my avid readers (hehe) know what’s going on… besides, if I’m gonna be moving, it’ll be time for a PARTAY!!!!

Take care all!

~Becky

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger DNR said...

Fingers, eyes and toes crossed for ya!!

Stop by and we'll talk any time you need to, k?

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger DNR said...

BTW - I expect to hear about Monday (07/11/07) ASAP!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home